These maroon-colored red velvet cupcakes are moist and fluffy with a subtle chocolate flavor paired with rich and tangy cream cheese frosting. They are also super easy to make!
For the Cupcakes:
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 ½ cups (325 grams) all-purpose flour
¼ cup (20 grams) cocoa powder
1 ½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 egg yolk, at room temperature
½ cup butter, melted
3/4 cup oil (canola, vegetable, or grapeseed)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food color
1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 pound cream cheese, softened to room temperature
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ – 3 cups (300-360 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
1. This recipe makes 20-22 standard cupcakes.
2. You may also convert this recipe to make a cake using two 9-inch round pans. Bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs.
3. For the frosting, adjust the amount of powdered sugar to the desired level of sweetness.
Make the cupcakes:
1. Position a rack in the middle part of the oven and preheat to 350° Fahrenheit.
2. Line two 12-cup standard muffin/cupcake with cupcake liners. This recipe makes 20-22 cupcakes. Set aside.
3. Make the buttermilk. Combine milk and vinegar in a large bowl. Mix with a spoon. After about 5 minutes, it will start to curdle.
4. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until combined.
5. Combine the wet ingredients. To your buttermilk, add the eggs, butter, oil, vanilla, food color, and vinegar. Whisk until combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two additions. Whisk until no more flour is visible or until just combined. Do not overmix.
7. Pour the batter into the liners, about 2/3 of the way full or about 3 tablespoons for each cavity.
8. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs. Be careful not to overbake.
9. Let it cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting:
1. Place the cream cheese and butter in a bowl and leave it on the kitchen counter to soften. This takes about 1-2 hours depending on the temperature in your kitchen.
2. With an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
3. Add in vanilla and powdered sugar gradually. Adjust the amount of sugar to your preference.
4. Keep mixing until fluffy and fully incorporated. Scrape the sides and bottom, as needed
1. Frost the cupcakes when they have completely cooled.
2. I used Wilton 1M piping tip. You may also use 2D piping tip or any other star-shaped.
3. Pipe large swirls or however you like.
4. Decorate with sprinkles, as desired.
#redvelvetcupcakes #redvelvet #redvelvetcake #creamcheesefrosting #dessert #cupcakes