Salted egg salad combines rich and creamy salted eggs with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion. This easy-to-make salad will complement your grilled or fried foods, adding a unique and savory flavor.
You can also add your salted eggs to Ensaladang Talong (Eggplant Salad) with grilled or fire-roasted eggplant tossed with vinegar and sautéed shrimp paste.
Ingredients you'll need
Notes and substitutions
- Salted Eggs: Available in many Asian supermarkets and online retailers, their shells are either off-white or dyed red.
- Vegetables: Feel free to use any kind of tomatoes or cucumber that you prefer. You can also use firm mangoes, radishes, and avocadoes.
- Dressing: I used a splash of red wine vinegar and soy sauce. You can also use another type of vinegar, lemon juice, or a light dressing.
How to make this recipe
Combine ¾ cup tomatoes, ¾ cup cucumber, and ¼ cup diced or thinly sliced red onion in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon soy sauce, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss them together.
Chop the salted egg into small pieces.
Gently mix the chopped salted eggs with the vegetables. Serve and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions
Salted egg is an Asian delicacy made by soaking duck eggs (sometimes chicken eggs) in a salty brine solution to ferment for weeks. It creates a unique, savory flavor with a denser, creamier texture than regular boiled eggs.
Cooked salted eggs can typically last up to a month in the refrigerator. Check the expiration date on the package and ensure the shells are intact. Signs of spoilage include a foul or off odor, moldy appearance, slimy yolk, or unpleasant taste.
Other appetizers and side dish recipes you may like
Did you make this recipe? I would love to know! Your feedback helps me make better recipes. Please rate, review, or comment below. Questions about this recipe are welcome, too!
Let's connect on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, Twitter, and Youtube. Be sure to tag me when you try any of my recipes @recipesbynora!
Salted Egg Salad
- ¾ cup chopped tomatoes
- ¾ cup chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup diced or thinly sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar sub: white or cane vinegar
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 salted eggs chopped
- Combine tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion in a bowl.
- Add red wine vinegar, soy sauce, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss them together.
- Add the chopped salted eggs and gently mix them with the vegetables.
- Serve and enjoy!